Saturday, March 29, 2008

Coll-ec-ting

The boy these days is all about collecting. Currently he is collecting rocks and stones.
"Mom, look what I found on the playground", digs in pocket and pulls out tiny white rock.
"Oh honey, you found a white rock, how cool"
"Mom, Mom - wait, I have more", digs in pocket again and pulls out more rocks. "They are a coll-ec-tion", the boy smiles.
"You're right", awesome. "You are such a good finder of rocks", must not forget to check pockets before washing. The stonewashed jeans look is like, totally, the 80's.


So it got me thinking, what do I collect? What gives me joy when I find it, do I have anything that I add to? I collect sharks teeth (the summer shark tooth extravaganza is coming up) and recipes & inspiration. I love looking through magazines and newspapers for recipes. It's something that give sme joy. Even more so, I love when a recipe is actually as good as the picture looks. I'd take a picture of my collection, but the boys broke both of my cameras.

So, whenever I can't find something or something breaks or I'm just irritated at the boys I'm likely to be heard yelling, "Where's my pickle fork? I can't have anything nice with you kids". This is where I got it from, a cocktail/beverage napkin my mom and I found a few years ago. You'd be surprised how much better you feel by yelling out, "Where's my pickle fork?" when one of the kids break something. I seem to be yelling it out a lot lately.


I found this in a Rachael Ray magazine. It's quick & easy and perfect served at warm temperature or would be good chilled. To me this recipe is a warm summer day. Enjoy!

Tuna Orzo Salad
4 servings, prep time 10 min., cook time 10 min.

3 cups chicken broth
1 cup orzo
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Two 6-ounce cans olive -oil-packed tuna, drained, oil reserved
One 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
Half an onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Stir in the orzo and cook until al dente. Drain and cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, season the vinegar with salt and pepper and mix until the salt dissolves, set aside. Whisk in the reserved olive oil. Add the orzo to the dressing and toss to mix.

Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and basil to the orzo. Break up the tuna with a fork and add to the salad with feta cheese.
Oh, the goodness.

No comments: